Monday, April 13, 2009

It's Almost my Birthday

As I sit here in the library, trying to focus and get some work done, I keep thinking about my birthday. I turn 20. Can you believe it? 20...not too many people live that long. Some get shot down, some are in car accidents, some are killed in natural disasters, and others are killed over the dumbest disputes ever. (You had sex with my girl, nigga!?) I've been fortunate enough to live this long. There has been plenty of good times and plenty more hardship. Through it all, I'm grateful to have the opportunity to live in a world where the next day isn't promised to anyone.

I'm at school. I would rather be home. I wish my special someone was here. I wish I could actually do something to celebrate this great day. Instead, I don't really have much money to do anything, and other people either have no money or have other things to do. The last time I actually did something special for my birthday was go to Red Lobster with my friends. I'd like to do that again. Steal some plates while I'm at it.

I turn 20...one more year to go and I'll have no problem drinking. As far as my friends go, they want to get me fucked up. It's all good. I've made so many memories with so many people. I remember senior trip (FUN times). I remember walking into my high school for the first time, thinking that graduation was too far away. I remember the younger days of when I would go to day camp every summer. I remember fights. I remember basketball games. I dislocated my brother's thumb way back when outside my grandfather's crib (God Bless). So many events and interactions over the past 20 years have helped shape me into the person I am today. I'm still in awe...

As I look back on my life, there are things I wish I have done and obviously things I wish I had not done. I won't spend my whole day talking about what could have been or what I don't have because I do have a lot already. I've got shelter, a chance for higher education, a loving family, good friends who always have my back, and a special person who loves me despite all my mistakes. When I think about it, I have missed out on some things, but I'm already very fortunate and lucky.

20 years gone by....didn't seem like too long though...

No comments: